Our country has been hit with this virus, as has the rest of the world. It has changed everything. There are shortages in goods. I went to the store this evening to get some macaroni and cheese. The shelves were totally empty. Not a bag of pasta in sight. And the toilet paper! It's crazy but I can understand the psychology of 'not having enough.'
On top of all of these changes, I now will have to home school the girls. My job remains open, and seeing as I'm the only breadwinner in our family right now, I have to go. I'm trying to keep things cleaned up in my area and physically distance from people as much as possible. I feel very torn about all of it. On the one hand, I'd like to cocoon away from everyone until this blows over. On the other hand, there is the practicality of continuing to be able to earn a living for as long as I possibly can. I'm fortunate that I have a job to go to. So many people are hurting right now because the economy has collapsed.
One huge bit of sadness for me is that today I have lost a person I considered a best friend. It has really been a long time coming but today was the final straw for me. As much as I've tried to remain as respectful as I can of her choices, a line was crossed for me today and I don't feel I can continue our friendship. The respect just isn't there. While she sees it as a political disagreement, I see it as a human value one. I don't want to be friends with people who think it's ok for a racist to be the President of the United States. I cannot just put this behind me and focus on her wonderful qualities, of which there are many. It's too imbedded in who I am as a person to just 'let this shit go.' I've lost several friends or people I thought were my friends thanks to the poisoned environment of this hateful human being whose name I won't even mention. I'll mourn the loss and move forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment