Wednesday, July 10, 2019

A new life with kids

Prison and substance abuse have taken the parents of my grandchildren out of the picture.  They are unable to care for them and have lost their parental rights.

These precious babies are six and four, respectively, and for the past two years, they have been in the foster care system.  Still are officially, but we're working on that.



Our new family formed on December 25, 2017.  My beautiful baby sister, Jeanne, helped me bring the girls to Tucson from Wisconsin.  I am forever indebted to her for giving up her time with her family to help me with mine.

It has not been an easy transition.  I knew it would be hard, and it is.  I'm at a point in my life where, if things were going as they should, I would be planning to retire in a few years.  Once again, life has tossed me a curve ball and so instead of retiring, I'm hoping I can live another fourteen years to raise these girls to adulthood.  Fingers are crossed.

I'm grateful to have a position where I am valued.  My employer has been extremely generous and helpful with the time off I've needed for appointments and have accommodated my need for a schedule change so I can pick up the girls from their school.

No comments:

Post a Comment